Central, Victory, Nayland, Wakefield & Brightwater
At YMCA Nelson we currently offer five fun filled after school programmes for children ages 5-13 years.
Our programmes are located in Central Nelson, Victory, Nayland, Wakefield & Brightwater Schools.
All programmes offer a variety of quality experiences for children to take part in including, community excursions, sports, arts and crafts, games.
YMCA OSCAR programmes are much more than a child-minding service. They are recreation based, and the aim is to meet the needs of children in their out of school hours in a fun, safe and learning environment, while incorporating our four values of the YMCA which are: Caring, Respect, Honesty and Responsibility. They are the foundation of building strong kids, strong families and strong communities.
Each programme offers a variety of activities that includes arts and crafts, sports, games and incorporates homework activities. We provide a safe environment for your child to relax in after their day at school while ensuring there are stimulating options for those still with energy.
- Children are picked up from school; walking/bus/taxi/YMCA Shuttle
- Afternoon tea - light, tasty and nourishing snacks
- Homework supervision and support
- Exercise through outdoor games, sports and play
- Free play, with use of art and craft resources
- Central Nelson, Victory, Nayland, Brightwater & Tahunanui Schools
Should you have any queries, concerns or ideas, please do not hesitate to contact the Programme Supervisor. Feedback forms are avaliable upon request.
Parents & Caregivers are most welcome to spend time at the After School Care Programme and are encouraged to get to know staff.
- Minimum of two staff on duty at all times
- Staff/Child ratio 1:10.
- On Excursions it is no more than 1:8 and is based on a risk analysis profile.
- Children are in view of staff at all times unless it is inappropriate (i.e. toliets)
- Staff are trained to provide inclusion activities for the benefit of all children.
- Children are informed of the boundaries and are expected to stay within them.
Parents & Caregivers are required to notify the YMCA of any absences, for any reason, as soon as possible. This will eliminate unnecessary concern and time in tracking your child's whereabouts. Parents & Caregivers are responsible for ensuring the YMCA has up to date contact and special care details.
Bookings are essential as we need to know who is attending on a daily basis. Payments can be made via internet banking. Please contact the YMCA Nelson for registration. All of our programmes are CYF approved to operating OSCAR standards. For you this means your child participates in a nationally approved programme and, should your family qualify, enables you to receive a Work and Income subsidy.